Liz Richter interviews Dr. Charles Frantz, professor in the Department of Music History, Composition, and Theory at Westminster Choir College, jazz pianist, and private piano and guitar teacher. He discusses his transition from studying pre-med to studying musicology, his teaching philosophy, and future courses he is offering.
- 0:40:Musical education from childhood through doctoral degree
- 6:43: Doctoral studies, changes in post-secondary music curriculum
- 9:06: Attending Woodstock, experiences during sixties, Vietnam War
- 12:38: Changes in career plans from pre-med to music
- 15:06: Further reflections on musical education, approach to teaching
- 19:38: Private teaching and performances in the Princeton area
- 23:38: Classes he offers at Westminster Choir College
- 25:19: Future class offering on jazz
- 27:18: Closing thoughts: advice to those trying to select a career
You can read Liz’s reflections on this interview here.