Lauren Kelly talks to Stephen Howe, Stage Supervisor at the McCarter Theater. He discusses his career in theatrical design, his involvement with over a hundred shows per year, and his goals for audience engagement.
- 0:09: Childhood and early involvement in the arts
- 2:58: First backstage experience, first college show, mentors
- 5:14: College studies in theatrical design
- 6:16: Day-to-day work at McCarter, dual function as theater company and road house in a local setting
- 14:34: How artists’ personalities affect performances
- 19:51: Getting to interact with famous performers
- 23:50: Impact of the collaborative process, McCarter’s influence on audiences
- 31:38: Unspoken contract with audience
- 35:36: Annual performances of “A Christmas Carol”
- 37:31: Closing thoughts: experiences with recent shows
You can read Lauren’s reflections on this interview here.