Simer Bhatia interviews Deepal Chodhari, santoor performer, teacher, and vocalist in the Indian classical tradition. She discusses her musical training, the fundamental concepts of Indian classical music, and her work as a performer and teacher in India and New Jersey.
- 0:00: Introduction and santoor demonstration
- 2:40: Early musical training and vocal studies in India
- 5:38: Santoor studies, work as teacher, history of the santoor
- 8:00: Notation in Indian Classical music, santoor technique
- 9:31: Her musical learning process
- 11:04: The basis of Indian classical music
- 13:06: Career as classical musician in India and New Jersey
- 15:16: Teaching philosophy and process
- 18:37: Future of Indian classical music
- 19:06: Her current performance appearances
- 20:20: Advice to Western musicians who are interested in Indian classical music
- 21:07: Personal goals for the future
- 22:17: Information about her studio
- 24:10: Final advice to prospective students
You can read Simer’s reflections on this interview here.